- A. M. Pate, Jr., Research Professorship in History, Texas Christian University, 2020-21
- Associate Professor of History, TCU, 2017-Present
- Assistant Professor of History, TCU, 2011-2017
- Founding Chair, Department of Comparative Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES), TCU, 2015-2020
- Interim Director, Latinx Studies Program, TCU, Fall 2019
- Faculty Director, TCU Justice Journey, 2011-2020
- Administrative Fellow, AddRan College of Liberal Arts, 2016-17
- Ph.D., Department of History, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 2011
- M.A., History, Duke University, 2007
- B.A. with honors, Community Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz, 2004
Research & Awards
Fulbright-García Robles Fellowship, Chair in U.S. Studies, Universidad de las Américas, Puebla, México, 2020-21
Blue Texas: The Making of a Multiracial Coalition in the Civil Rights Era, Justice, Power, and Politics (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2016; paperback, 2020).
- Frederick Jackson Turner Award, Organization of American Historians
- Ramirez Family Award, Texas Institute of Letters
- Coral Horton Tullis Memorial Prize, Texas State Historical Association
- National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies Tejas Foco Non-Fiction Book Award
- Summerlee Fellowship in Texas History, Clements Center for Southwest Studies, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, 2013-2014, $45,500.
Civil Rights in Black and Brown: Histories of Resistance and Struggle in Texas, co-edited with Todd Moye (in press; Austin: University of Texas Press, 2021).
- National Endowment for the Humanities Collaborative Research Grant, $200,000, 2015-2019
- Additional support from the Brown Family Fund and Summerlee Foundation
- See the Civil Rights in Black and Brown Interview Database
Deans’ Research & Creativity Award, Texas Christian University (campus-wide), 2018.
Finalist, Wassenich Award for Mentoring in the TCU Community, 2016.
Outstanding Faculty / Staff Award, TCU Inclusiveness and Intercultural Services, 2015 and 2012.
- History of Multicultural America (HIST 10713)
- The African American Experience (HIST 10703)
- History of Working People in America (HIST 30603)
- U.S. Urban History: Race, Space, and Community Activism (HIST 30803)
- Oral History Field Research (HIST 30813 / HNRS 20503)
- TCU Justice Journey
- Black Freedom Struggle (HIST 30833 / POSC 31523 / CRES 30803)
- Latinx Civil Rights Struggles (HIST 30823 / POSC 31543)
- Readings in American History: Emerging Historiography II (HIST 70603)
- Research Seminar in U.S. History (HIST 80603)
- Co-Chair, Racial Equity Committee, Fort Worth Independent School District
- Steering Committee, United Fort Worth
- Organization of American Historians, Program Committee (2021), Committee on Committees
- Board of Contributing Editors, LABOR
- Editorial Board, U.S. Latina & Latino Oral History Journal