- Associate Professor of History, TCU – Texas Christian University, 2017-Present
- Administrative Fellow, Dean’s Office, AddRan College of Liberal Arts, 2016-17
- Assistant Professor of History, TCU, 2011-2017
- Founding Director, Comparative Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES), TCU, 2015-Present
- Project Director, Civil Rights in Black and Brown Oral History Project, 2014-Present
- Recipient of NEH Collaborative Research Grant, 2015-18
- Faculty Director, TCU Justice Journey (Civil Rights Bus Tour), 2011-Present
- Core Faculty, African American and Africana Studies, Latina/o Studies, Women and Gender Studies, and Urban Studies
- Ph.D., Department of History, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 2011
- M.A., History, Duke University, 2007
- B.A. with honors, Community Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz, 2004
Research & Awards
Blue Texas: The Making of a Multiracial Coalition in the Civil Rights Era, Justice, Power, and Politics (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2016).
- Frederick Jackson Turner Award, Organization of American Historians
- Ramirez Family Award, Texas Institute of Letters
- Coral Horton Tullis Memorial Prize, Texas State Historical Association
- National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies Tejas Foco Non-Fiction Book Award
Summerlee Fellowship in Texas History, Clements Center for Southwest Studies, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, 2013-2014, $45,500.
National Endowment for the Humanities, Collaborative Research Grant, $200,000, 2015-2018, for Civil Rights in Black and Brown: Oral Histories of the Multiracial Freedom Struggle in Texas, 1954 – Present (principal investigator).
Outstanding Faculty / Staff Award, TCU Inclusiveness and Intercultural Services, presented at IIS annual banquet, 2015 and 2012.
Finalist, Wassenich Award for Mentoring in the TCU Community, 2016.
Internal TCU Grants: Instructional Development Grant, 2016-2017 (second author); Creativity and Innovation in Learning Grant, 2015-2016; Grant Submission Incentive Program, 2013; Institute for Urban Living and Innovation Small Grant, 2012-2013 and 2011-2012; Faculty Service-Learning Grant, 2012-2013; Research and Creative Activities Fund, 2012-2013; Junior Faculty Summer Research Program, 2012.
- History of Multicultural America (HIST 10713)
- The African American Experience (HIST 10703)
- History of Working People in America (HIST 30603)
- U.S. Urban History: Race, Space, and Community Activism (HIST 30803)
- Graduate Readings in American History: Political Economy and the People (HIST 70603)
- TCU Justice Journey (formerly the Civil Rights Bus Tour – HIST 40873)
- Texas Communities Oral History Project class (HIST 30813)
- Board Member, Labor and Working-Class History Association